- 6 egg whites
- 1-3/4 cups and 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups heavy cream, whipped
- Assorted fresh fruit
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9 inch circle on the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Overbeaten egg whites lose volume and deflate when folded into other ingredients. Be absolutely sure not a particle of grease or egg yolk gets into the whites. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice and cornstarch.
- 3. Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack
- In a small bowl beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form; set aside. Remove the paper, and place meringue on a flat serving plate. Fill the center of the meringue with whipped cream, sweetened if desired. Top whipped cream with sliced kiwi, strawberries, mangos and passion fruit.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6